Skip to main content

Freeport District Library

Your Library Card

Getting a card, renewing materials, placing holds, etc.

Who can get a card:

Persons living in Freeport District Library service area (Carlton and Irving Townships in Barry County) may apply for a Freeport Library Card. 

Exceptions include:

Non-Resident Card:

Patrons who do not qualify for a library card at any Lakeland Library Cooperative member library may receive a Local Use library card only. 

Seasonal Card:

Seasonal or long-term vacation residents (at least one month) within the Freeport District Library's service boundaries are eligible for a temporary card for local use only. 

Property Tax Patron Card:

Patrons owning a business or property in the Freeport District Library service area may be issued a card with the full privileges of the Lakeland Library Cooperative.  This is the only situation when a person may be registered at more than one Lakeland Cooperative Library. 

What you need to get a Card:

Adult Applicants must:

Present a valid Michigan Driver's License, Michigan ID Card, or Resident Alien Card documenting identity and current street address. 

If applicant cannot meet the above requirement, they must have a valid photographic identification with the person's correct, current name.  In addition to the credible photographic identification, they must have one of the following additional proofs to verify the applicant's name and current address:

Utility company bill  received in the last two months
Voter's registration
Printed checks
Hospitalization or insurance card
Recent local property tax bill

A message will be placed on the applicant's record to remind staff that an updated Michigan proof of identification is needed.

If an applicant for a card has existing fines from a previous Lakeland Library Card, they must pay those fines before we can issue a Freeport District Library Card.

Juvenile Applicants (Minors under the age of 18):

Juveniles may apply for a library card, but must have a parent or legal guardian as a co-signer.  The parent/legal guardian accepts full responsibility of the library card.

The parent/legal guardian accepts all responsibility for the use of the card and any fines or fees incurred on the minor's card.

The parent/legal guardian must present the same identification as stated under the Adult Applicant (see above section).

Both parent/legal guardian and child must be present at the time of application and issue of the card.

If an applicant for a card has existing fines from a previous Lakeland Library Card, they must pay those fines before we can issue a Freeport District Library Card.

Replacement cards cost $2.00. 

Lost or Stolen Cards:  

It is the borrower's responsibility to notify the Freeport District Library promptly of a lost or stolen card.  If the loss/theft is not reported, the Library patron is responsible for all material charged to the library card.

Patrons will be held responsible for any fines levied prior to the date the loss/theft of the library card is reported lost or stolen, as well as the value of any material borrowed.  Patrons will not be held responsible for fines after the date on which the loss/theft is reported.

Borrowing Limits:

10 DVD and/or VHS video recordings

Unlimited # books and other materials

Parents/Legal Guardians may place limits on juvenile patrons' borrowing limits.  We will place a message on the juvenile's Library Card record.

Placing Holds

Freeport District Library is a member of the Lakeland Library Cooperative, and we participate in MEL CAT inter library loan as well.  If there is a book that the Freeport District Library doesn't have on its shelf, a patron can use the online Lakeland catalog to place a HOLD on that item at another library,  If it is not available in the Lakeland catalog, the patron can go to the MEL CAT catalog to find out if it is available for check out. 

The only exception is on New Materials that have been on the shelf for less than 6 months; these items are only available for HOLD if your home library owns the item.  After the 6 month "new" period expires, the item will be available for inter-library loan.

ONLY Audio Visual (AV) items (Movies and Audiobooks) from your home library can be placed on HOLD.  There is no inter-library loan available for AV.

There is a limit of 10 HOLDS on a patron's card.  Once the HOLD is delivered to the Patron's home library, they will receive an email notification or a phone call notifying the patron that they may come in and check it out.

All HOLD books (Inter-library Loan) must be returned to the patron's home library.

 When is it Due?

DVDs, VHS movies, magazines, and Seasonal books - 7 days with 1 renewal if no existing HOLDS

Books and Audiobooks - 3 weeks with 1 renewal if no existing HOLDS

Overdrive Downloadable Audiobooks - You may choose a 7 or 14 day lending period with no renewals.

Renewing Your Borrowed Items

A Freeport District Library patron may renew Freeport's material at least once if there are no existing Freeport patron existing HOLDS.  After that one renewal on a Freeport item, if there are no existing HOLD requests for the item, staff can renew the item for the patron at the Circulation Desk.

If the Freeport District Library patron would like to renew an item owned by another Lakeland Library, they may renew it at least once if there are no existing HOLD requests.  If there is a HOLD request for the item, it must be checked in by the due date and sent to the next HOLD request. 

Library Fines

15 cents/day  - books, magazines, Audiobooks, VHS recordings

$1.00/day - DVDs